Can’t make it to the gym? This core circuit requires minimal equipment to get your heart pumping and abs burning at home.
- 5 lb weights
- stability exercise ball
- WARM-UP – 5-10 minute jog around the block OR alternate between jumping jacks, high knees and boxer shuffles for 30 seconds each for 6 minutes.
- BALL PASS (arms to legs) – 15 reps
- Lie flat on your back and pass the ball from your arms extended above your head to in-between your raised, extended legs. Hold the ball between the legs and tap the ball to the ground and pass back up to the arms. Be sure to keep your lower back pressed onto the floor.
- SUPERMANS – 12 reps
- Lie flat on stomach and extend arms in front. Lift your legs and arms off the ground as if you are flying. Hold at top three seconds then lower.
- PLANK TO DOWNWARD DOG – 15 reps
- Hold a plank position and then jack hips up into a downward dog position. Return to the plank and hold for three seconds before repeating.
- V-sit with Russian twist – 30 reps
- With legs off the ground and ankles crossed, twist side to side holding one 5 lb weight.
- Plank on elbows – 1 minute
- Burpee – 15 reps
- From standing position, squat down, place hands on the ground and kick legs back into plank position. Jump legs back to the original position, stand and jump. Add a push-up at the bottom for an extra challenge.
- Side plank dips – 12 reps each side
- Hold a side elbow plank and dip hips down.
- Weighted burpees – 10 reps
- Hold 5 lb weights in each hand raise overhead, drop to the ground and balance on the weights for the kick out with the legs
- Mountain climbers – 25 reps each side
- Hold plank position while pulling alternation knees toward your chest.
- Plank jacks – 25 reps
- Holding a plank, jump legs out into a wide stance and then back in.
- Mountain climbers twisting obliques – 25 reps each side
- Hold plank position while pulling knees toward opposite elbow.
- Ball crunches – 25 reps
- Sit on the ball and walk forward until the ball is under your with shoulders and head hanging off and knees and hips bent. Place hands behind the neck and crunch. (If a ball is not available, do crunches on the floor.)
- Weighted half crunches on floor with punches across the body – 40 reps total
- Holding two 5lb weights hold a crunch at the half-way point, punch arms across the body.
Complete the circuit two times and cool down with a walk around the block and stretching.